According to Deepak Chopra, these are the 10 basic keys to a lasting happiness.
- Listen to your body’s wisdom, which expresses itself though the signals of comfort and discomfort.
- Live in the moment. The present is the only moment you have. Have your attention on what IS and see its fullness in every moment. Have psychological acceptance totally and completely that this present moment is as it should be.
- Take time to be silent, to quieten the internal dialogue, to be guided by your intuition, rather than externally imposed interpretations of what is or is not good.
- Relinquish your need for approval. There is great freedom in that choice.
- When you find yourself reacting with anger or violence to any person, situation, or circumstance; recognize that you struggle only against yourself. Don’t be so hard on yourself.
- Know that those you react to strongly, whether you love them or hate them, are reflections of yourself. Use the mirror of relationship to guide your own spiritual evolution.
- Shed the burden of judgement; you will feel much lighter.
- Don’t contaminate your body with toxins; either through food, drink or toxic emotions.
- Replace fear-motivated behaviour by love-motivated behavior.
- Understand that the physical world is just a mirror of a deeper intelligence.
I think it's always good to practice different tools for self-improvement. There are lots of different points of view and ideas out in the world but I like these 10 simples rules. Some of these are deeper than others...like number 6. Our reactions are the raw fundamentals of who we are. We are in control of how react but must allow for the growing time that comes with acknowledgement. I also really like number 10...our world is constantly changing and evolving and what we get out of it derives from what we put in it.
How can you hold yourself accountable to your own happiness? I suggest reading these keys and thinking of ways you can start to live life to its fullest. XO